Help with protecting Video Cam mounted on rail!

sandawg

I know, retired folks have too much time on their hands. Eat your heart out!!!

I fabricated a mount on my rail to hold my camcorder. I intend to take some videos of the Dunes and our trip to St. Anthonys in July, while riding in the rail.

My concern is :getting sand in the mechanism and damaging the lens while driving, and having the camera mounted on the rail!

My thought is to encase it in a plastic bag to protect from the sand but I'm not sure what to do about the lens. I am sure that I will be following someone since this is my first trip to St. Anthonys.

Want some good video to show those that have never been there what it is like!

I am spooked, to say the least. That place has some tough terrain and bodacious dunes to climb.

I know of two friend that have rolled their rigs there!!!

I have to be able to opperate it while driving, so keep that in mind when you make suggestions.

Help from the photo experts would be appreciated!!!!!

Thanks,

Pat

Edited by SANDAWG

Does your camcorder have a/v inputs? I have a color camera w/ audio I can hook ya up with. Then you can just find a safe place to store your camcorder and run wires accordingly to it.

It's a helmet cam I've never used.... you can try it for free if ya want.... but if ya like it I drink BUDWEISER and lots of it LOL

:undecided:

Incase your rail in a giant bubble :beercheers: ... it can be liek one of those giant water balls at the lake or in the pool lol you drive and it rolls... muahahaaa

Id say the bag trick with maybe some 3m clear tape on the lens glass ... kinda like the clear plastic cover that comes on pda phones or a tv when you 1st buy it...

or the best way would be to buy a camera that was intended for the sand

Capt

quote name='CaptNkllm' date='Jun 1 2009, 06:35 PM' post='178594']

Incase your rail in a giant bubble :finger: ... it can be liek one of those giant water balls at the lake or in the pool lol you drive and it rolls... muahahaaa

Id say the bag trick with maybe some 3m clear tape on the lens glass ... kinda like the clear plastic cover that comes on pda phones or a tv when you 1st buy it...

or the best way would be to buy a camera that was intended for the sand

Capt

I appreciate the offer to borrow but I just don't do that.....or loan out tools! :lol:

I could glue the helmet cam to my bald head, that would be cool! :finger:

If I went out and bought something every time I had a hair brained idea I would have to go back to work for a living.....that ain't gonna happen! :old::broke:

A couple of pix...I am going to shorten the post some too. Too much weight hanging on that long post!

Keep um coming, I'm open to all suggestions!

Thanks!!!! :beercheers:

Get a replacement glass lens or 2 for a Maglite flashlite or Home Depot should have replacement glass for the track lighting, same as Lazer Stars lens (same as I use on my helmet light in avatar). put a few dots of Permatex Ultra Grey silicone on your cam lens rim and apply the glass lens. After it cures use some cheap silicone to finish seal. Get some stick on clear camera lcd monitor protectors to use as tear-offs for sand impact and you'll have clear optics and protected lens. Or use nothing and have a good reason for that new camera you like. :beercheers:

Get a replacement glass lens or 2 for a Maglite flashlite or Home Depot should have replacement glass for the track lighting, same as Lazer Stars lens (same as I use on my helmet light in avatar). put a few dots of Permatex Ultra Grey silicone on your cam lens rim and apply the glass lens. After it cures use some cheap silicone to finish seal. Get some stick on clear camera lcd monitor protectors to use as tear-offs for sand impact and you'll have clear optics and protected lens. Or use nothing and have a good reason for that new camera you like. :beercheers:

Dyno....mite idea, Thanks!